On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:05:26 +0100, Steven wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Citeren "Ampere K. Hardraade" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> > On January 13, 2005 07:28 am, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

> > > ..aye.  I'm just wondering how much work we can yank off the
> > > Control Process Unit and dump onto these General Purpose
> > > processing Unit_s_.  ;-)
> > I was referring to Graphics processing units.

..me 2.  ;-)

> > Am I missing something here? :-\
> >

> A joke ;-) (see the ";-)" smiley of Arnt)

..well, all good jokes can't come up with a potential like the
http://gpgpu.org; your average recent GPU chews code 6 times
faster than your average CPU.  So, we can use part of the GPU
to show pretty pictures, and the remainder, say "half", to say,
triple FG framerates?  ;-)

> Are there any decent books about those Navier-Stokes equations and how

..chk these:
http://download.nvidia.com/developer/SDK/Individual_Samples/DEMOS\OpenGL\src\gpgpu_fluid\docs\GPU_Gems_Fluids_Chapter.pdf
(Yeah, those back-slashes worked in Konqueror!!! 8o))
http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Miscellaneous/Books/
http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Miscellaneous/Courses/
http://www.gpgpu.org/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi/Miscellaneous/
http://download.nvidia.com/developer/SDK/Individual_Samples/samples.html#gpgpu_fluid
http://www.strangebunny.com/techdemo_stokes.php (arrrgh bummer,
should have been done in OpenGL)
http://www.eet.com/in_focus/silicon_engineering/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55300900
http://www.eet.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=55300904

..and you might wanna compare Microsofts take with the other guys:
http://www.cs.unc.edu/Events/Conferences/GP2/program.shtml  ;-)

> to implement them in C or java?

..nonono, FG is C++ and will likely remain so for all sortsa good
reasons I was buried under when I asked "Why not C like in the
kernel?", an extensive discussion of the wisdom of writing Java code
can be found over at http://Groklaw.net/, hints on "follow the money",
also points towards Redmond and Lindon, Utah.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: