On Wednesday 19 January 2005 19:41, David Megginson wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 19:26:57 +0000, Lee Elliott
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I've got to disagree with you regarding linking to non-GPL'd
> > aircraft.  The best a/c I've seen for M$FS have been done by
> > people who want to ensure that their work remains free (as
> > in free beer) but also want to make sure that their work
> > isn't exploited by commercial organisations.  Some people
> > also like to include non-violence conditions.
>
> I think the user community will stomp out that kind of thing
> pretty fast, whatever we do about linking.  It looks very
> newbie and shareware-ish.
>

> All the best,
>

> David

Heh! - Sorry, but I'm not sure exactly which bits will get
stomped out and/or are newbie and shareware-ish.

Personally, I find it difficult to criticise non-violence clauses
but they also smack a little of denial - the idea that ignoring
something makes it go away.

The control issue is more straightforward and it's easy to see
how someone might get miffed if something they spent a lot of
time making, so that they could give it away to people for free,
is then used by someone else for their own profit, with no need
to recompense the person who actually did the work.

The GPL specifically allows this.

LeeE