Vivian Meazza wrote:

Dave Martin wrote:

On Monday 24 Jan 2005 13:37, Oliver C. wrote:

On Monday 24 January 2005 11:05, Erik Hofman wrote:

Vivian Meazza wrote:

Thanks for this explanation. Why does it only seem to work one way?

The

description 'enhanced lighting' is not particularly helpful.

Oh, this is about enhanced (runway) lighting. That's a different

story,

I was talking about specular highlights which the original was talking
about also.

No, i was talking about enhanced runway lightning, this is
what i get when running flightgear with this option:
--enable-enhanced-lighting

I was not talking about specular highlights.

Why is it so expensive of frame-rate?

This is very hardware and driver dependent. Some OpenGL features are
just not implemented in hardware on some display adapters.

The only consumer videocards we have today are from Ati and NVidia,
do their newest models support this?
If not, then we should move it to the advanced options.

I also want to mention, that MS FS2004 has something similar, but

without

framerate drop, so there must be another way to display runway lights in
such a way.

Best Regards,
Oliver C.

I've also been confused by the monumental frame drop that even the simple
runway lighting can produce at airports such as EGLL.

And I do have a fairly hefty system which has been known to run graphical
behemoths like Doom3 at a fair lick.

The obvious response from the 'non-programmers' perspective ie: 'user' is:

"Why on earth do these little dots bring my new Model-X video card to its
knees?"

So what's the crack? ;)

Simple answer - too many vertices. Someone will give us the right answer -Erik????

Regards,

Vivian

After reading the glPointSize doc, I think the problem is in using point sizes bigger than 1 and point antialiasing at the same time
I can't test it now, can someone do it? just disable GL_POINT_SMOOTH and see it there is an fps improvement

Regards,
Tiago