On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:31:46 +0000 (UTC), Martin wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> > ..we don't know their patent claims, and the advice from Groklaw
> > is "don't look, or you'll pay 3 times more for wilful infringement."
>
> .... yes, but in a different context. You should have a clue before
> repeating such claims.

..agreed.  My patenting experience is from a somewhat more innovation
friendly environment; thermochemical gasification in petroleum
producing Norway, where "not trying to look" qualifies as willful
infringement, but "I did look, there was nothing!", doesn't.  ;o)

> > ..the prudent way is, let Sun do the porting.
>
> Do you honestly want to advise me not to create Solaris binaries of
> FlightGear.

..no, but I feel that is the safer approach until Sun proves less
hostile towards the GPL part of the F/OSS world than their corporate
stances and policies on software patents, TSCOG, Microsoft etc,
suggests.

..the media coverage suggests Sun may make statements to clarify some
of these issues in the next few days, and I hear Groklaw people try tell
us there is GPL friendly opposition within Sun, but that was also true
for Caldera/TSCOG, the C-level people and the Board Membership in
both these ailing firms run their firms as they see fit (or whatever).

> Did Sun do anything wrong to you, did they steal your sandwitch ?

..no, they haven't done me any harm except as a member of the F/OSS
world and except for funding TSCOG's scam lawsuit by "buying" a
US$ 12 mill "license", forcing me to spend time at Groklaw to learn
enough to save my own wee business, it's what funds my gasification
work, without Groklaw, I probably would have had to liquidate my linux
business, 2 years back, TSCOG etc was all over the media here.

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: