On Saturday, 29 January 2005 12:54, Christian Mayer wrote:
> Manuel Massing schrieb:
> > Hello,
> >
> >>I do have a few questions though :
> >>Does the current code that you have handle texture paging?
> >
> > Yes, textures and geometry are paged and decompressed asynchronously in
> > the background (seperate thread). The engine supports image compression
> > to save IO (and possibly bus) bandwith, e.g. JPEG and S3TC compression.
> > The first maybe quite taxing on the CPU, so we usually only use JPEG for
> > the finest detail level textures, which account for most of the data, and
> > S3TC for the lower detail levels.
>
> Do you know:
>
>   http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/jpegs_are_evil_too.html

There's still no open source alternative to jpg when it comes to storage size
and storage is the major issue when dealing with lots of satellite or aerial
photos.

I did a test with the 18 century crop texture :
JPG  : 1024x1024 @ 85% quality = 508.4 KB
PNG : 512x512 @ level 9 compression = 630.4 KB

Four times higher resolution with hardly any noticable loss in quality (even
when zoomed in) and it still comes out with a smaller footprint than a PNG
that is 4 times lower resolution.
Sometimes size does count.

What do you suggest as a replacement to JPG that will give a similiar
footprint size?

Paul