On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 11:14:45 -0800, Andy wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Josh Babcock wrote:
> > OK, here's the file:
> > http://home.comcast.net/~jrbabcock/superfort/b29-yasim.xml
>
> Some random notes, before I start running it:
>
> The inbord and outboard engines don't match.  Your inbord ones are
> defined to produce 2200 HP at 1000 RPM (which is *monster* engine),
> while your outboard ones get 2200 at 2900 RPM (a little over 1/3 the
> power of the others).  The inboard ones look typoed to me.
>
> I see that all your propellers have a gear-ratio="0.35" setting.  This
> is almost certainly wrong.  The B-29 used big cylinder radials, and as
> far as I know no one ever made one of these with with a gearing system

..no?  Those late and post WWII big ass corncobs were all geared, to
stay as small as possible.  ;o)

> (no point, as pistons that size can't be made to move much faster).
> Note also that this doesn't match your (outboard) engine settings.
> You have a propeller that wants to sink 1800 HP at 2200 RPM.  But at
> that speed the engine would be turning at a shaft-melting 6285 RPM.
>
> The props also have buggy settings for their controller levers.  The
> are "power-calibrated" at 2200 RPM, which matches the engine settings
> you have.  But the max-rpm value is only 1200, so the governor will
> never allow them to turn that fast.

..those B-29 props was spun at 910 rpm by 2200 T/O and military ponies
spinning the crank shaft at 2600 rpm.

http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/research/bombers/b3-30.htm
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&q=B-29+R-3350+rpm+%22gear+ratio%22&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

> I'll try these changes as soon as I get a chance and see what happens.
>
> Andy

> 2f585eeea02e2c79d7b1d8c4963bae2d

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: