On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:47:18 -0500, Curtis wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Arnt,
>
> You should be aware that scenery building is much more of a data
> shuffling job, and much less of a cpu intensive job.  The big
> bottlenecks will be your network bandwidth and server disk IO.

..ah.  Server disk OI I can shot down doing everything on a 25 GB
ramdisk, but that too takes network bandwidth.  Question is how much
do I need of each.

..and you forgot to tell me what kinda machines you used, so I assumed
you used 2 of "my" Celeron 850's.  ;o)

> Curt.
>

> Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 13:20:13 -0500, Curtis wrote in message
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >to >>build the scenery?
> >>>

> >>I haven't timed the latest builds real close, but figure if you
> >throw >a  couple machines at it in parallel, it's going to take you
> >at least >
> >>

> >..these are 2 recent machines?  Specs?
> >

> >>a  full 7 days (x 24 hours) to do the final assembly and crunching.
> >>This  doesn't include any of the data prep work (which could take
> >>weeks if you start from scratch), nor does it include the airport
> >>model generation  which takes a day or so.
> >>

> >..can do ;o), assuming you used 2 Celeron 850's, that makes it 2
> >hours. [EMAIL PROTECTED]:~ $ qalc 2*8*24*1700/320000
> >(1700 * 24 * 8 * 2) / 320000 = 2.04
> >1700 is a NTWAG BigoMips figure for a Celeron, 320,000 is for the
> >cluster estimate, I will have to use some machines as switches too.
> >
> >..to build 12.6GB of scenery, I assume I simply do a rebuild of our
> >last version, se we _can_ shoot for a 25GB target size, if we want it
> >any  bigger.  Here I WAG the same cpu work per Gig of scenery, which
> >probably is dead wrong.  ;o)
> >

> >>And of course this doesn't count any of the  time you need to spend
> >>sitting down and sorting through tile build  problems (or other
> >>bugs/missing features) that you haven't gotten around  to looking at
> >>yet.
> >>

> >..very true, and for a 4 hour stunt run, there will be _no_ such bug
> >fix time, it will all have to be scripted, end to end.  Watching my
> >gasifier rig remains my top priority, a good 1/3 of my gas is CO, so
> >I dont want _any_ leaks.
> >

> >>Regards,
> >>
> >>Curt.

..with a number of polar bear hunters in his ancestry...
  Scenarios always come in sets of three: