Vassilii Khachaturov

> > >Very good idea, and weather. I don't suppose clouds would be easy?
> > >
> > >Vivian
> > >
> > Cloud movement is based on wind direction and speed so it should be the
> > same at all time if the
> > initial situation is the same. To construct the initial situation I
> > think it's enought to send the cloud layer
> > information and the delta time during the connection to the server.
> >
> > Harald.
>
> Why is there any need at all for the cloud info to be sent over the
> network? Since it's obvious that the FDM is local anyhow, and one
> could always cheat with it, some conventions must be needed anyhow.
> If everybody uses the real-time WX feed, everybody will fly consistent
> and see consistent clouds on the screen. Or are you talking about making
> everybody having the same clouds at the precisely same spots, not
> just the general cloud layer properties?

Ideally cloud layers, thickness, types etc. should all be the same. Same for
wind and turbulence. I'm sure that we can do it. At least by ensuring that
initial conditions are all consistent.

> At this moment, I am skeptical about getting WX updates from the server.
> Does server-side push of WX update to everybody make sense at all other
> than
> the fact that this way it might be possible to cut down on the traffic
> to the metar NOAA feed?

Well that's probably worth doing.

> The downside is that probably the WX update
> comes less frequently than other planes' position update; if a
> a plane update is dropped, it's not a big deal, just its next movement
> will be a bit more jerky; whereas if a wx change is missed,
> things will fly differently.

They certainly will fly differently if they don't get the same weather by
some means. Have you now countered your own argument? We could make life
interesting by having 2 duty runways crossing each other, and no ATC.

> Another downside is that everybody
> needs metar from different places, so in the worst case, with N
> players flying in N different places on the Earth, the total data
> sucked off NOAA is the same, yet the server now must be the
> one doing it all. Of course, if everything is just doing pattern work
> at KSFO, there may be some saving achieved...

N players at N different places. Not a lot of fun in that, but I guess it
could happen. Then the load on NOAA is the same in either case. In all other
cases there would be a (small) saving.

Don't forget, in FlightGear realism is everything.

V.