Peter Stickney wrote:
> An addition/correction to my previous posting.
> On Sunday 17 July 2005 18:29, Peter Stickney wrote:
>
>>On Friday 15 July 2005 06:45, Vivian Meazza wrote:
>>
>>>6. Copies of the relevant pages of the Pilot's Manual. Post these
>>
>>somewhere
>>
>>>that I can access/fetch. Particularly any description of the
>>
>>variable boost
>>
>>>control.
>>
>>That was the FE's job.  The supercharger system of a B-29, or any
>>other turbosupercharged airplane worked like this: (Well, was
>>supposed to work like this - Early B-17s and B-24s with the
>>mechanical oil pressure driven turboregulators required more
>>fiddling, but the electronic turboregulators used on later -17s,
>
> 24s,
>
>>P-38s, P-47s, B-29s and subsequent airplanes did work like this)
>>
>>There was a potentiometer dial on the turboregulator control box
>
> that
>
>>was calibrated from "0" to "10".  This selected the amount of
>
> output.
>
>>from the turbo system as a whole, "0" being no output. The turbos
>>supplied air to the inlet of the engine's mechanical supercharger at
>>slightly over sea level ambient (29.92" on a Standard Day).  This
>
> was
>
>>done to keep the turbo moving, so that it didn't freeze up due to
>>poor lubrication at Sea Level.  The engine's throttle was set to
>>provide whatever power conditions were required, and as the airplane
>>climbed, the turbo's "Volume Control" was tweaked to keep providing
>>its sea level conditions to the engine's supercharger.  The
>>Turboregulator governed on the selected pressure rise (The "Volume"
>>and turbo RPM and, often, bearing temperature.  The Pilot of Flight
>>Engineer had no indication, or control over the turbo except the
>>potentiometer.  As far as the engine was concerned, it was sitting
>>happily at Sea Level the whole time.  Once it had reached the point
>>where the turbosupercharger/mechanical blow couldn't supply the
>>proper power conditions any more, power dropped off normally.
>

> As it turns out, the B-29's turboregulator control was a little bit
> different from what I described.  The "Volume Control"  governed off
> total system MAP.  If you set the potentiometer to , say, '*8", it
> maintained the overall MAP until the turbo reached its limits.  So,
> for example, you set the engines to Max Continuous, you wouldn't need
> to twiddle the turbos as you climbed from Sea Level to 25,000'+.
> Sorry if I cased some confusion, there.
>
> "Zeno's Warbirds" has, IIRC, a Realplayer movie on flying the B-29.
> That's a pretty good resource.

True, though for some reason I have not checked it out. I do have the
.ram file that points to the stream though. Also, note that to go past 8
on the turbo dial required opening a safety latch and per the pilot's
handbook was not to be done for more than 2 min. which I think is the
equivalent of the RAF WEP. I'm not sure what bearing this has on the
engine modeling but at some point I should put in a nasal script to blow
up the turbos after some extended period at settings above 8. I'll have
to figure out what conditions would actually cause a failure though.

Josh