Steve Hosgood wrote:
> The position of any astronomical object relative to a viewer standing on
> the planet's surface is usually given as "altitude" and "azimuth" - with
> the true horizon and true "North" used as the references.
> [...]
> Additional entertainment will be provided by the fact that and code for
> FG needs to work with a WGS84 spheroid, meaning that the distance to the
> earth's centre will vary with lat and long

I humbly submit that this is yet another area where an Euler (angle)
representation is a bug, not a feature.  We have a sane cartesian
coordinate system for the earth.  All that's needed is to define one
for the solar system* and then do reasonably trivial conversion.  The
moon should be even easier, presuming that the moon's orbit passes
through the equatorial plane (it does, doesn't it?).

* It can be 2D, in fact -- on the plane of the Earth's orbit and with
  one of the axes aligned with the orbit's major axis.