> From: "Curtis L. Olson"
>
> To be honest, I stared and squinted at the real scene for the longest
> time trying to figure out if my eyes were playing tricks on me or what.
> It wasn't until I got to see the full digital picture that I figured out
> the 747 hump was behind the DC-10/MD-11.

How about 5 engines?

http://photos.airliners.net/photos/9/6/7/635769.jpg

This standard way to distribute emergency replacements.  In fact I read
somewhere that all 747's are built with the mount to transport replacement
engines.  Not sure if it is true, but it makes sense.

BTW great pictures Curt.  Sharp looking crew as well :-)   And a very exciting
flight story.  The scariest jet airline flight I've been on was one that landed
on Corfu and it was 100% routine.  I have serious doubts that this jet could
have stopped on the runway if an engine was out and beyond one end of the
runway is water and buildings (houses, etc) on the other end.  No room for
overruns.  When the aircraft finally braked to a stop, I actually thought we
were a little off the end of the runway from the poor viewing angle I had in
the cabin.  The takeoff later was equally interesting, although by then I had
convinced myself that they did this every day and we would make it,  which we
did.

The fake snow in Mohave story reminds me of the time my father came back from a
base in Florida where he conducted environmental testing on some electonic
equipment.  From what I understand they had a huge hanger (large enough to hold
2 C-5 aircraft with room to spare) down to -25F while it was over 90F outside.
Now that's virtual reality.

Anyway after all the exciting stories, is there anything more you are able to
say about the simulator project mentioned top of the page?

Best,

Jim