Jon Stockill wrote:

> I used the "map" command to dump the data, then converted it to the
> tguserdef format in order to build the scenery, but a shapefile could
> just as easily be used as the intermediate format.

We have to be careful about simply dropping a shapefile into our
"landcover database". Wenever we add a road, river or some other data
to the database we'll have to have a look if the respective object is
already represented there.
For example if you derive a road course from the OSM collection with
the intention to add it to the landcover DB the respective road might
already be present there - although likely at the wrong location. Now
you have to make sure to remove the 'old' road.
I expect this process to be fairly easy with a GIS tool that interfaces
cleanly with such a GIS database as PostGIS because with such a tool
you can identify a _single_ object and remove it from the layer.

For other tools that can't interface directly we are building sort of a
batch interface: You could create a shapefile for a specific layer and
define a bounding box around your data. Now as you are going to drop
this data into the landcover DB we have to expect that your shapefile
contains _all_ data that belongs to the area inside the bounding box:
Not only your addition but also the data that has already been there
before - preferrably together with appropriate junctions between old
and new data.
I know that this method puts us at risk to cut single roads and/or
rivers into pieces and I would not reject clever ideas on how to
circumvent this risk  ;-)

The same applies to corrections of the shoreline, city outlines, lakes
or whatever you could think of.

Cheers,
        Martin.