> From: "Curtis L. Olson"
>
> Paul Kahler wrote:
>
> >This may be too late now unless the address changes. Get the email
> >address off the web pages. Just where do you think the spammers are
> >getting the address from? My ISP has some form of spam blocking, but I
> >receive about 1 spam every month or two. I think the reason for this is
> >that my email address isn't posted in plain text anywhere on the net. It
> >is there of course (on my contact page), just not in machine readable
> >form.
> >
> >This may not be practical for FG. I dunno, just a thought.
> >

> I believe the addresses, especially the ones getting spam are not posted
> anywhere ... except there are places that archive the flightgear mailing
> lists and at least in the past have kept all the email addresses intact
> in clear text.
>
> New stuff is generally ok, but stuff in the historical archives out
> there is mostly what's getting us.

Hi Curt,

We solved this problem with our customer service email address by setting up a
form like this:  http://www.kelcomaine.com/email.htm

Basically the email address is unpublished and not easily guessed (by a bot).
Once a customer's original message is replied to, they have the customer
service email address so they are able to follow up or send further email using
a conventional mail client.  At one point we did have to change this address
again because a spammer somehow discovered it,  but this was done long before
the spam problem returned in any scale.  Surprisingly we had no complaints on
our 800 line about this address change.  Folks just went back to the webpage
and clicked on the email link to send their message.  This is actually a fairly
common technique for avoiding exactly what you are facing.

Once you set up such an email form with new addresses plugged into the backend,
you could then simply delete the current email accounts.  I suppose you could
script a special bounce message for the -admin, -owner addressess,  but I
wouldn't bother.

Best,

Jim

P.S. Yes, yes,  I know our website needs updating :-)