I much prefer mailing lists. They are so accesible and flexibile. The important content arrives (and I appreciate the effort of admins to maintain this). I actually think that mailing lists work really well, and it sounds like the problem is more down to the spam. Could we setup an autoresponder which replied to all admin stuff, with a magic value in the subject saying "reply to this XXXXX". I'm not really up on the spammers technology, but normally they don't reply. I guess that this may inconvenience some users, but for the better good.

Web forums I just don't like, they're slow, quite often I miss stuff. etc.

That's my intial thoughts.

--Richard