Hi,

Ampere K. Hardraade schrieb:
[SNIP]
One can use rectangular or bent taxiway sections but when you get to all
the weird and wonderful taxiway layouts it's impossible to do with a
generic taxiway structure. This is very apparent where taxiways intersect
other taxiways, runways or aprons.

The only thing that made sense to me was a 2D CAD type app like TaxiDraw
which can draw polygons of any shape and size.
[SNIP]
I agree with the accessment that using raw polygons is about the only way to have proper taxiways. Really, a taxiway is anything but rectangular, and no matter how you mix and match a bunch of rectangles, it is simply impossible to achieve the level of complexity that you can see in real life. A CAD type application for drawing taxiways may not be a bad idea. However, I think that the process of taxiway generation should have nearly zero human involvement instead.

We may not be able to reach this. However, I think that a combination of different tools for different objectives could do the trick. For example, the basic taxiway layout could be done by drawing the centerline as a polyline or spline. This data could also be used for exporting the AI data for Durk's ground AI. For all specialities this could be refined using more general geometry, such as polygons or whatever is suitable. No need to force pure polygon editing "only" because there may be a few places on an airport where we may need it.

Cheers,
Ralf