Curtis L. Olson wrote:

Dave Martin wrote:

Well, I think I could get the adjusters in place (experimentation time)

My next question would have to be (bear with me) Does FreeGLUT support multiple mice yet?

Alternatively, does FreeGLUT rely on X11 for it's mouse definitions. I think I may have found a method in X.org which will allow multiple USB mice to behave as a single 'logical' mouse - albeit with loads of scroll-wheels etc. ;)

The idea being that a mouse is possibly the cheapest off-the-shelf 'encoder' on the market (not strictly an encoder but good for the purpose). Not sure about x.org's limitations but the USB interface will support 127 devices per channel; more than enough for a light-aircraft cockpit interface.

It's cheap and you get what you pay for. Not enough bits and resolution and you still face the problem of now writing some sort of driver that handles the USB connections and converts the GLUT mouse inputs to something meaningful to drive your gauges. And you still have to handle the physical design problem. Thinking it's better to start with a clean piece of paper..... Again, phidgets are worth a look. The software problem is also cleaner than
a X-11/GLUT hack and can be worked.

John Wojnaroski is developing some interesting switch, button, light interfacing hardware that plugs into your computer via usb. I don't know if it has any A2D or D2A capabilities. It sounds really promising though. Hopefully he will jump in here with details as his time permits.

Curt.

The boards Curt refers to were specifically designed for a 747 simulator. They will read analog, discrete inputs, rotary encoders but are not designed to drive anything other than digital signals. Would need a bit more design and rework to handle the current loads of DC motors or servos, control, etc. (See earlier post)

Regards
John W.