Hi Rob

Rob Oates wrote:

New scenery update!
Hopefully this gets everyones blessing :) here is what is improved: + The color of the city textures finally look good. No more violet, and the hues look perfect. + New town texture...i'm finally satisfied with this one, it goes well with the city texture. (really looks good with the south-germany custom scenery). + Shrubs (taken from the defunct 2006.03.29 release :P ) + Fixed the Materials.XML file is now included (thanks Ron) As usual you can get it from http://mellonroot.acomp.usf.edu/~phoenix <http://mellonroot.acomp.usf.edu/%7Ephoenix> The winter textures are prooving to be alot harder to create than I previously thought. I'll eventually find a good solution, unfortunately it will not be in time for the 0.9.10 release. Anyways, Thanks for everyone's input. These textures are really looking good!

Had a chance this morning to look at your new textures

Looks like the "blue" problem with the drylake beds has been fixed. One of the problems with the edwards scene is number of runways FG produces, there in only one large north-south concrete runway with a dry lake overrun ( 15K and 9K in length) and a small strip for the local flying club. Everything else is a dry-lake bed surface (good as concrete) with painted numbers and outlines/centerlines defining the runway boundaries. I guess FG applies a regular runway texture to these as well. If you had a runway texture with an alpha channel of zero for the surface and something approaching 1.0 for the stripping and numbers, you could blend the texture with the underlying surface and create the runway. Or just render the dry lake beds sans runways...

Two main dry lakes, Rogers next to Edwards and Rossamond about 10 miles east

Things really get bleached by the sun, just like the paint on the east and south side of your house. The dry lake beds are very uniform in color and texture. Took a look with Gimp at the .rgb files. Thinking a a lighter shade of sand in #4 and #5 would be more realistic rather than #1,2, or 3. Even a very light "concrete: would work.

For some reason, I'm not seeing the same scene you've posted on your webpage, which by the way looks d--- good! Still a lot of green in my scenes. Do you need the latest CVS source for things to render correctly? Currently using a post -0.9.9 CVS version from around mid-January. Or a fresh download of the base package?

Taking off from an airport in the LA basin and climbing north over the San Gabriels, you see the urban scene below, the dark forest green of the mountains with the gray of the higher peaks (snow in the winter) above the treeline ahead, and the vast expanse of bright desert beyond as you crest the ridge line. The contrast/demarcation/transition between the north side of the mountains and the desert floor is quite quick and distinct.

Regards
John W.