Hi,

Pigeon schrieb:
    As mentioned in the LinuxTag mail thread earlier, I've started
preparing a FG live cd.

Great!! I'm very glad you're doing this!

[SNIP]
    Things that I need input from people:

    - what window manager/environment should we use/should be the
      default?

This is asking for a flame war, but we'll see. I can only tell you that I'm currently using GNOME2 with metacity as window manager. I can't say anything about KDE, except that it was using up pretty much RAM the last time I checked - which must have been about four years ago ;-) If it's still that way, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to use it on a FlightGear live CD.

Anyway, as Martin already said, the focus should be on FlightGear. Therefore the window manager probably doesn't need to be anything fancy. Given the target audience of a live CD fvwm95 or s.th. like that might be suitable, as long as users can easily start FlightGear and whatever auxiliary applications (Atlas, TerraSync, etc.).

    - what aircrafts should we include?

I vote for the C172P as standard model, Piper Cub, Citation Bravo and the B1900D as minimum. This clearly doesn't exclude any others, but I think these are probably the best from the small and business jet fraction we currently have. Can't tell anything about the military or larger jets.

    - atlas?

I'd say yes. If you put Atlas on there, a set of pre-generated maps for the included scenery could be a good idea.

    Hopefully sometime this week or next week I would have something for
people to test with.

I'll try to test it as soon as it is available. Perhaps I'll have the possibility to test it on some non-development machines and with "simple" users ;-)

Cheers,
Ralf