John,

> >FG->XP:
> >
> > -- position
> > -- attitude
> > -- time derivatives of position and attitude
> > -- NAV frequencies
> > -- transponder settings
> > -- PTT (we might be able to use XPLMCommandButtonPress() and
> >      XPLMCommandButtonRelease() )
> >
> Certain of the first four, will have to poke around in the code for the
> transponder.  PTT ??  push-to-talk?  I don't think there is such a
> function in FG.

I don't think we actually have a transponder, but that's also the
function that could easily stay with X-Plane for the time being since
it's not very often you play around with it during flight.

PTT is probably something FlightGear doesn't have, so maybe this is a
good time to add it to the property tree, so that whoever needs it can
wire joystick buttons and instrument functions to it. It's probably a
good idea to add more than one PTT -- how many are there in a real
aircraft? (I'm thinking of the old days -- the crew of a 707 was
something like 5 people, did they all have PTTs?)

> FG has a real-time weather fetch capability from metar stations.  Are
> you aware of that?

Sure, and I think that's a great solution for the weather problem.

> So I'll code up a network protocol to send the above selected data from
> FlightGear to a XPlane plugin if you would take a crack at doing the
> plugin.

I can give it a try once I've fixed my Linux machine at home so it
will run X-Plane at all... I just need to know how to handle the
network in a portable manner -- any ideas? I don't think X-Plane has a
network layer that can be accessed from the plugins, but I'll check
again just in case.

  Andras