> > The only big question is whether the internal FDM of X-Plane or
> > MSFS can be overridden with external data just like that.
>
> Why would you need to override the FDM of X-Plane ot MSFS?
> Last time I played with WideFS all it did was put the slave MSFS machines
> into
> slew mode and pump them with a stream of co-ordinates, pitch, roll and
> heading data. The VATSIM multiplayer code should smooth be able to smooth out
> the jumps.

That's what I thought. I was wondering whether the internal FDM could
be stopped from interfering with the coordinates sent from FG (which
could mess up the view, if nothing else).

> In fact if we had such a module running in MSFS we could pass that data to
> our
> own MP servers and see VATSIM aircraft flying around in FG. One could leave a
> FG MP aircraft at the major airports and see VATSIM guys arriving and
> departing.

Good idea -- fly in VATSIM airspace without them actually
noticing... :) they only see a plane parked at a remote field while we
fly around them unnoticed with a stealth AN-225... :)

> Very interesting idea - I just wish we could have a native implimentation
> running on Linux since not everyone owns MSFS or Windows or a spare PC with
> the horsepower to run MSFS.

It might not even be necessary to run another PC. Thinking about it,
it has just occurred to me why X-Plane would make such a good VATSIM
proxy: (1) it's free (you only pay for scenery and the joystick
interface, neither of which is needed for this application); (2) it
supports three platforms: Windows, Mac, and even Linux/x86; (3) it's
leightweight, I guess it could even be run on the same (Linux) machine
as the one running FG if graphics was set to the lowest quality or
turned off altogether.

Earlier today I tried making a test plugin for X-Plane but got stuck
trying to build it -- whatever I did, X-Plane would always bail out
with SIGSEGV not long after (successfully) loading the plugin. It's
not the plugin because a "HelloWorld" plugin written by the author of
the plugin SDK does the same thing if I build it. But I also suspect
there might be something wrong with my set-up (I run X-Plane inside an
x86 chroot, which doesn't exactly make things easier to debug, and
I've done updates recently, and the Debian/sid repository is currently
in a rather poor state). I might try on a native 32-bit machine at
some point.

As to the network code, would it be necessary to actually modify FG,
or can all the necessary features be accessed through the telnet
interface (meaning that the X-Plane plugin would have to act as a
telnet client)?

  Andras