Here's a question for all you amateur lawyers and GPL experts out there.

Let's say that someone wants to create a proprietary aircraft within the
FlightGear system, and then distribute a larger "system" that includes
FlightGear + that aircraft.

In my view, the FlightGear GPL license covers our source code, but not
content created with or used by that code (except for things like the
base package which is explicitely licensed as GPL.)  Is it possible that
someone could lay claim to any newly created proprietary "content" (3d
models, artwork, panels, etc.) by way of the GPL?  Even if FlightGear is
happy to allow people to create proprietary aircraft, could someone
upstream in plib or zlib or openal land somehow file a complaint?

To me this is analogous to Microsoft demanding all documents created and
owned by a company just because they created and edited them with
Microsoft Word.  I just don't see that ever happening.

But I wonder what others think about this issue from a legal point of view.

Thanks,

Curt.