On Wednesday 07 June 2006 13:35, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> On Wed, 07 Jun 2006 01:26:22 -0400, Josh wrote in message
>
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Lee Elliott wrote:
> > "lowest I dared stall"? Like he had a choice?
>
> ..or no chute?   Or, not wanting to risk an unique plane?
> Could be fun modelling it to see how close we get to it.
[snip...]

Well, yes he did have a choice.  At the time that those comments
were written there were quite a few Swifts flitting about the
sky.  In this particular report the pilot was comparing what was
then the _current_ model with an earlier version, which he had
also flown.  He would have been aware, not only from his
personal previous experience with the Swift, but also from
talking to other pilots who had also flown the type, of what he
might expect in the air, so when he went up to check out it's
stall performance and characteristics he would have done it at a
safe height and with a good idea of what to expect.

There is a lot left unsaid though - from the same article:
'Former Cromwellian Leonard Snaith flew the prototype Swift on
many occasions and during one flight flick-rolled it.  The Swift
continued to roll three times, Snaith describing the manoeuvre
as a horizontal spin.  He did not recall how the Swift recovered
or at what altitude.  Comper, who had been watching Snaith's
display, was later found at the bar downing double brandies'

Apparently, when rigged and trimmed correctly for level flight,
hands-off you would have been likely to find it yawing to the
right and rolling to the left, but this sort of behaviour
appears to have been pretty normal for aircraft of the time.

LeeE