FWIW, the current precipitation rendering code is raw-gl-based as well,
not even done with proper branching via ssg; we just have a special call
to its rendering from within the renderer. I am currently working on
texturing-based precipitation which needs multitexturing, and naturally it
can't be done fully above ssg w/o raw gl codes since multitexturing is not
supported in ssg. My plan is to first achieve a sensible visual
effect/performance, (at which point a demo patch will be posted over to
the list with a call to you texture artists for better textures for rain,
snow. and hail) then ssgify it properly to make sure the gl state is
managed in a coordinated way between the precipitation code and the other
ssg-based one (a milestone for another patch), and, finally, fix the
culling issues (so that we no longer rain into underground etc.)

Currently I am having some nasty visual artifacts which make the whole
thing look worse than the GL_LINES based current code; I am getting 25-33%
FPS drop here on various nvidia cards (33 on older ones, 25 on better
ones). I might be able to improve the FPS drop though, as I have some GL
optimization tricks unused yet. Nevertheless, since the FPS impact is no
longer negligible (like it's in the lines-based code), it means that there
will be a configurable rendering option to stay with the GL_LINES based
old code for those who don't want the penalty, although I won't guarantee
a runtime-switchable (i.e., you need to reload fgfs). For cards w/o the
multitexturing capability, it's automatically going to be using the old
precipitation code.

Vassilii