Holger Wirtz wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 10:49:37AM +0200, Oliver Schroeder wrote:
> [...]
>>> I have much experience with video and teleconferences and there you every
>>> a problem with such implementations. If I transfer this to home
>>> simulator flying there you have trouble with background noise (e.g. the
>>> kids have a dispute, the wife is shouting "Suppers ready!" and so on).
>>> Sometimes the mics are to near towards the nose and you hear every
>>> breath... this is not nice :-( . Or you hear music in the background...
>>>
>>> What you should have in mind too: Some voice codes transfer very few
>>> packets when the mic is muted.
>>>
>>> I think it is more realistic AND for the reason of clean radio frq. that
>>> there is a mic button reachable from inside fgfs.
>> In that case I think the easiest (and cleanest) way is to let fgfs un-/mute
>> the mic on keypress.
>
> Yes, this seems to be the easiest way. But I don't know how this
> interacts with the audio stack in the external communication client
> (alsa/libaudio/jack-based). How is the sound organized in fgfs? When it
> is alsa based I can disable libaudio and jack and then this should work.
>
> Can you give me hints where to find the sound and the input module? Or
> can someone of the core hackers integrate such function?
>
>> If you really want to pass a keypress to another application you need to use
>> shared memory, semaphores or network communication. All methods are very
>> ugly.
>
> Hm, yes... not really nice. But if this works better I would prefer
> this.

Since you're already having to transfer radio frequency data from
flightgear why not just create a PTT property in the tree and transfer
that too? That property could then be updated by joystick buttons, key
mappings, etc and you only need to check for it in one place.

--
Jon Stockill
[EMAIL PROTECTED]