On Sunday 29 October 2006 17:50, Darko Tasovac wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What is the main goal of AI subsystem traffic pattern, do you plan the
> traffic pattern to be the realistic one, or random airliner flights to
> random destinaton?
>
> Google Earth and TaxiDraw connection is a jackpot :)
>
> Regards,
> Darko T.

Hi Darko,

Well, I can only speak for myself, but I would say that my goal is to achieve
"ever increasing realism through constant refinement". I'd like to have
something that feels realistic, in the sense that the right amount of
traffic, and with approximately the right liveries, is present at each
airport. This could mean that we go through a phase where everything is
driven by random traffic. but I'd like to keep the option open to have
realistic schedules. I certainly don't have the entire flight schedule of
each airline in memory, but there are a limited nr of flights for which I
know the departure time (i.e. those, I've travelled with as a passenger in
real-life). It's pretty cool to see those behave in FlightGear (or FS2004 for
that matter) as they would in reality.

FWIW, keeping traffic 100% realistic is most likely going to be a logistic
nightmare, but if we can get something that approximates it then that would
be great.

Also note that the AI system shouldn't be limited to airline traffic, but
should also include general aviation, and military traffic. I started with
airline stuff, because that's the most visible type of traffic in my home
area, and also the type of traffic I have a test database for. If you look at
the ground network / schedule documentation, and the C++ source code, you
might find hooks for other traffic types as well. I just haven't had the
chance to work on that though...

Cheers,
Durk