> I would like to restrict that a bit.  For bugfixes and non
 > developers this might be a good idea. But please do not develop
 > new features on the branch. I know how many problems this will
 > give.  And to be honest, Olaf I believe You know what I am
 > talking about ...

No offense, but the proper way to prevent people from wanting to
use the Plib branch is to *fix* the OSG code.  Whining about it
is kinda bad form.  People want to use the plib branch because
it works better than the OSG branch, and they shouldn't be denied
features just because it makes developers' jobs harder.

This is a big, disruptive change, and I'm sympathetic to you,
really.  YASim and Nasal were big and disruptive too.  But so
far, OSG has produced literally zero benefit for anyone.
People's experience has been anywhere between "it seems to work
OK" to "everything is slow and ugly" to "I can't get it to
build!".

For myself:

+ I don't like the OSG build system at all.  Getting the
   equivalent of --prefix requires 5 non-standard environment
   variables to be set, and it doesn't support building
   out-of-tree.

+ It's freakin' huge!  Takes longer to compile than the rest of
   FlightGear put together.

+ C++ shared libraries (12 of them).  Enough said.  I tried
   the "make static" option, but it didn't install the libraries
   properly.

And the biggest complaint:

+ No released version of OSG works with FlightGear, nor does
   their CVS head.  Technically, we're porting onto a *fork* of
   OSG right now.  We never did this with plib: if we needed
   features from CVS plib, we'd still have compatibility code in
   place that work work with their releases.

Andy