On Wed, 8 Nov 2006, Berndt, Jon S wrote:

> Regarding low RPM engines: I'm not sure, but I think this has been
> addressed in the version of JSBSim that is in JSBSim CVS.

Nope, it isn't. :P

There is a similar hard-coded value in FGPropeller.cpp,
FGPropeller::GetPowerRequired()
Line 240, regarding operation of the pitch mechanism. (Can't assume that
every variable pitch mechanism works the one and same way.)

My feeling is that all that logic should be up to the model designer to
implement, for FG that would be done in nasal scripts. In every model with
an rpm meter, the rpm is monitored constantly anyway, for displaying the
value on the meter and so forth, so the logic about at which rpm the engine
stalls (or the propeller pitch mechanism fails) could just as well be
handled there.

Perhaps engine simulation should be separated from the flight dynamic
calculations altogether? (the propellers must stay though) People may
introduce all sorts of weird engines in aircrafts: stirling or wankel
engines, rubber bands, electric motors and batteries, pigeons of burden...
...coal fired steam engines? (ok, maybe not). And you end up supporting a
plethora of engine principles, when all you need to know is mass, shaft
power for the propeller and torque/gyroscopic effects from the engine.
(anything else?)