Pigeon wrote:

>Hi all,
>

>    One thing I'd really like to see, possibly for this upcoming 0.9.11
>release, is the ability to select to use Textures.high or not.  By not
>using Textures.high FG could perform much better on a lot of display
>cards I've seen (rather old test, but still apply to current FG I think:
>http://pigeond.net/flightgear/tests/fgfs-test-ati-20061015.html).

Hmm, you should not say a lot of cards because in your test you are
using an antediluvian gpu and I think that with even an fx5200 you could
have your 40 fps with high resolution texture.

>While, telling people to move away or rename the directory is rather
>dumb.
>

>    How many people would agree we can have a command argument to turn
>on/off the use of Textures.high?

Since i'm not using a nix os I thing that a command line option without
some way to click the option in a gui is dumb too. There is no way the
user can know this option.

>    I have a very brief look in the code and it should be pretty easy to
>be selected at startup time. Probably one extra constructor argument to
>SGMaterialLib and SGMaterial would do it.
>

>    The harder part might be making this switchable on the fly. Can't
>say I know the code enough to say if there's a way to flush and reload
>all the textures. And I don't know how useful this switchable feature
>would be.

Not sure it's really needed, but if that was possible we could change
season texture on the fly too.

>    On the other hand, is there any good textures management method?
>
>    For example, rather than enabling/disabling Textures.high, is there
>a way to pre-scaled down a texture before it is loaded/used?

Glut has a function to rescale a texture but this can not be used with
the plib architecture. Plib load the file and feed opengl with the data,
there is no callback system to alter the texture between the two
actions. This is something that could be implemented in the osg branch
(and btw we should do this because using the default filterig to
generate instrument texture is very bad).

>    Or, is there a way to for the user to set a memory limit for
>textures?

No, and there is no absolut memory limit in the graphic card ; The
driver is allredy handling the swapping of textures so there is no need
to do this by hand.

Harald.

Btw the osg branch has texture compression so you shoud have better
performance with it.