Reagan Thomas wrote:

> I spent a few hours today trying determine what was causing the Concorde
> model to slew around on the ground in an erratic way as reported
> previously by Aerotro.  I believe I have gotten very near to the root of
> the problem.
>
> First some info:
>
>     1. Aerotro noticed this problem when she began using the Win32 plib
> build "fgfs-plib-win32-20070528.zip" obtained from
> ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/Win32/
>
>     2. This morning I made a fresh Win32 OSG build from CVS head and was
> able to reproduce the problem on the B707, Concorde, E3B and KC135.
>
> The problem did *not* occur with the 747-100, so I compared its FDM to
> that of the Concorde and others.  I discovered that the 747 has a
> <pointmass> definition in the <mass_balance> block that the problematic
> craft do not.  I verified that by removing the <pointmass> definition,
> the 747 starts skipping and sliding too. I further verified that by
> adding a pointmass to the Concorde FDM as below it stopped misbehaving:
>
>          <pointmass name="name">
>              <weight unit="LBS"> 1 </weight>
>              <location name="POINTMASS" unit="IN">
>                  <x> 1455 </x>
>                  <y> 0 </y>
>                  <z> -39 </z>
>              </location>
>          </pointmass>
>
> I set the weight to 1 Lb to verify that the actually amount of mass had
> no direct bearing on the base problem.

 From discussions in IRC, this appears to be a Windows-only problem.
Vivian, also on Windows and using the same compiler and nearly same VC8
project files (derived from Olaf's files found here:
http://www.oflebbe.de/oflebbe/FlightGear/index.html), has not been able
reproduce this problem. The Linux users report no such problems.

I invite any interested Windows users to try one of the recent Win32
builds from the ftp site mentioned above... if only to prove that I am
or am not insane ;)

--
Reagan Thomas