In every aeronautical engineering publication I've seen, the
convention for "positive" has been:
  -- Positive aileron deflection creates a positive rolling moment,
   positive around the +X axis, i.e. roll to the right;
  -- Positive rudder deflection creates a positive yawing moment,
   positive around the +Z axis, i.e. yaw to the right; and
  -- Positive elevator deflection creates a positive pitching moment,
   positive around the +Y axis, i.e. nose up.

... and likewise for the trim.

The conventional orientation of the axes is:
   http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/motion.html#fig-axes
see also
   http://www.av8n.com/how/htm/motion.html#fig-rotations

Now the peculiar thing is that internally, FG uses the opposite
convention for the /controls/flight/elevator property ... and
likewise for the elevator-trim property.

I do *not* propose to change the FG internals.

I repeat, we should *not* change the existing internal properties.

However, for external purposes, i.e. for gui purposes, I cannot
bring myself to expose the backwards elevator convention.  I don't
see any way to explain that to the users;  it doesn't pass the
red-face test.

   As the saying goes, sometimes a few lines of straightforward code is
   better than a hundred lines of tortured, apologetic documentation.

Therefore, for the convenience of gui implementors, I have created
the new properties
   /controls/flight/flipper
   /controls/flight/flipper-trim
following the terminology of Langewiesche.  If it's good enough for
old Wolfgang, it's good enough for me.

These new properties are the same as the corresponding elevator
properties, except for a minus sign.

If you don't like this new feature, you don't have to use it, and
it costs you nothing.

   http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/flipper.diff

The gui that uses this feature will be discussed shortly.