On 07/03/2007 04:28 AM, Vivian Meazza wrote:

 > Remember: P 6 - Piss Poor Peer-review Prevents Proper Performance

I agree!

IMHO a "peer-review" that snipes at "int ii" as opposed
to "int i" -- to the exclusion of any discussion of
actual features that pilots can use -- is pretty poor.

IMHO it is a mistake even to respond to such sniping;
responding gives the sniping an appearance of importance
it does not deserve, and encourages bad behavior.

So, ignoring various obviously-false accusations, here's
where we stand regarding the flight-control popup:
  -- There was one bona-fide misunderstanding, which has
   been cleared up.
  -- AFAICT, there remain no objections of any significance.
  -- The fact remains that the axis polarity in FG is
   inconsistent with all the usual conventions.  This can be
   seen in most (perhaps all) joystick configuration files,
   where there is a factor of -1 applied to the pitch axis,
   but not to the roll and yaw axes.  This inconsistency
   would be seen again in the flight-control popup, except
   that I solved it via the aforementioned "flipper" patch.
     http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/flipper.diff
   (Note that this new "flipper" property could be used to
   simplify the joystick configurations if anybody wanted to.)
  -- As has been previously stated repeatedly, this popup is
   intended to serve pilots while flying the aircraft.  It
   is needed as a workaround because appallingly many of the
   aircraft in the FG fleet still lack usable trim indicators.
  -- Its intended purpose was not solely for debugging joysticks.
   It is not optimized for that purpose.  A popup for that
   purpose would differ in several ways.  If somebody wants to
   use the flight control popup as the starting point for a
   joystick debugging popup, that's a bonus.  The possibility
   of such a bonus is certainly not a valid objection to the
   existing pilot-oriented popup.

   I hope that overall, most FG-related time is spent piloting
   FG as opposed to debugging it.  (If not, this project is
   more screwed up than I thought.)  Developers should not
   assume that the world revolves around development; users
   i.e. pilots ought to count for something.

If some developer, for development purposes, wants to increase
the number of digits in the display, I parameterized the
format so that changing it is a simple one-character edit.
   http://www.av8n.com/fly/fgfs/flight-control.diff
I hope that a one-character edit is not too much of a burden.

Bottom line:  Does anybody have any suggestions and/or
questions about this work?