On Wednesday 24 October 2007 00:15, Vivian Meazza wrote:

> Not here, I'm afraid. Very good frame rates using the Buccaneer (70+) but
> there are still noticeable pauses over land. None over the ocean tiles. The
> pauses, or hesitations do not seem to be associated with any Subsystem
> Timing Alert, of which there are almost none.

Hmmm, I didn't say that FlightGear is completely pause free now. I did say
that the mysterious interval pauses are gone. These are the pauses that
become increasingly longer and longer over time (up to the point of several
seconds, or even minutes). The interval pauses are not affected by terrain
type or whatever, and originate because the nasal memory footprint keeps
growing and growing.

>From the sound of it, you're experiencing model loading pauses (either caused
by Multiplayer / AI, of the tile loader). Most likely, the pauses you see
correspond to pauses coming from the terrain loader (since they don't
correspond to Subsystem activity).

To verify, place a debug statement in simgear/scene/model/model.cxx, line 462,
or thereabouts.  Something like:

SG_LOG(SG_GENERAL, SG_INFO, " Requesting model " << path);

and see if that message corresponds to the pauses you see.

Its obvious that eventually we need to address these pauses too. This may take
a bit longer, because it requires redesigning. In plib we're actually hitting
a design limitation, but in OSG it should be possible.

Having said that, addressing the model loading pauses isn't nearly as
daunting, because the problem is well understood. This is stark contrast with
the interval pausing, where none of us really had a good idea what was going
on, until about a week ago or so.

Cheers,
Durk