On Tuesday 18 December 2007 22:52, Tiago Gusmão wrote:
> LeeE wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've noticed recently that after re-loading an autopilot the
> > filters that are being used seem to be getting a bit
> > 'confused'.  I spotted it when I was comparing the unfiltered
> > input with the filtered output and saw that the input was
> > stable to 2 decimal places but the filtered output seemed to be
> > oscillating very quickly up to the first decimal place.
> >
> > I don't know if this happens with all filter types - all the
> > ones I've been using are noise-spike types.
> >
> > LeeE
>
> Are you sure it's oscillating instead of just catching up with
> the current input? anyway, you can try to enable debug on that
> filter and show us some values.
>
> In the meantime i've had my own problem with the AP (now solved,
> don't use alpha=0 or you will get a NaN that will bring FG to a
> halt if tied to the controls)
> but i found some things that don't make much sense to me
>
> xmlauto.cxx, line 798, FGXMLAutopilot::reinit:
>
> -why is build() called there? it's already called inside init()
>
> -maybe my C++ is a little forgotten, but don't we need to delete
> the objects contained in components() ?
>
> Cheers,
> Tiago

Hi Tiago,

I'm not absolutely sure it's oscillating - it's changing too fast to
actually see the numbers to be sure - but the visual pattern - that
is, the apparent 'shape' that you can see suggests it is rapidly
switching between two values, which change more slowly, over time,
as the input changes.

Like I said, I compared the un-filtered input with the filtered
output and while the input could be stable to 2 decimal places the
filtered output could be changing at the first decimal place i.e.
the output was varying more than the input by a factor of up to
100, so it's not a case of the filter trying to catch up.

The effect is that it is oscillating because it's vastly
overshooting it's target in both directions.

LeeE