LeeE wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007 12:56, Tiago Gusmão wrote:

>>> Hi Tiago,
>>>
>>> I'm not absolutely sure it's oscillating - it's changing too
>>> fast to actually see the numbers to be sure - but the visual
>>> pattern - that is, the apparent 'shape' that you can see
>>> suggests it is rapidly switching between two values, which
>>> change more slowly, over time, as the input changes.
>>>
>>> Like I said, I compared the un-filtered input with the filtered
>>> output and while the input could be stable to 2 decimal places
>>> the filtered output could be changing at the first decimal
>>> place i.e. the output was varying more than the input by a
>>> factor of up to 100, so it's not a case of the filter trying to
>>> catch up.
>>>
>>> The effect is that it is oscillating because it's vastly
>>> overshooting it's target in both directions.
>>>
>>> LeeE
>> I wasn't able to reproduce, i tried with
>>
>>     <filter>
>>         <name>test filter</name>
>>         <debug>true</debug>
>>         <type>noise-spike</type>
>>         <input>/controls/flight/elevator</input>
>>         <output>/controls/flight/filtered-elevator</output>
>>         <max-rate-of-change>0.1</max-rate-of-change>
>>     </filter>
>>

>> Also my "paper simulations" seemed ok.
>>
>> Could you post your filter?
>>
>> Anyway, the current behavior of resetting the filtered output to
>> zero doesn't seem very good, i think starting at the current
>> input would be best.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Tiago
>
> Hi Tiago,
>
> have a look at the 'Target Pitch Filter' in the BAC-TSR2 autopilot -
> I saw the problem with that filter.  The filename is:
> Aircraft/BAC-TSR2/Systems/BAC-TSR2-autopilot.xml
>
> LeeE

I've tested it and it seems the input oscillates and can even change
sign very briefly, you need to pause right after reloading the AP to be
able to spot it. Because the filtered output will restart at zero, it
will be able to quickly go negative and then will take quite some time
to return to normal values. So while this is AP's fault, it's not
because of the filter.

Anyway, AP reloading isn't something we expect users to mess with, so i
wouldn't bother much with it.

And from what i've seen in the code, reloading is reliable in the sense
that it really creates new instances of the objects, so there are no
stale values.

BTW, it was really nice to see the TSR2 fly KSFO -> KSCK over those
hills, good work :)

Cheers,
Tiago