--- Csaba Halász wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2008 12:29 PM, Vivian Meazza <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > I would be pleasantly surprised if <condition> worked in materials.xml
>
> Here you go :)
>
> As a side effect, we could get rid of the ugly code that makes
> "Terrain.<season>" out of "Terrain" at the expense of some more xml.
>
> I attached a patch against Syd's new materials.xml as well.

This is fantastic - thank you very much!

I have been thinking for a while that it would be good to have some way to have
finer granularity within materials.xml.

For example:
- Towns and villages in different countries/continents are quite different in
terms of the buildings, and it would be good to reflect this.
- Tropical forests are quite different from that of temperate climates
- I did a virtual flight over Denali recently, and due to the limitations of the
current terrain definitions, large parts of it were "forest".

I think that as well as a property defining the season, it would be good to have
a set of properties based on the geographical region, for example:

/sim/geography/continent (africa, europe...)
/sim/geography/climate (tropical, temperate, arctic...)

I'm sure we can think of some more.

If we could define these regions based on lat/lon (in an XML file?), FG could
set
them, and they could be easily used within materials.xml.

-Stuart