Fabian Grodek schrieb:

> On 3/3/08, *Arnt Karlsen* <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>
> wrote:
>
>     On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 00:18:15 +0100, Georg wrote in message
>     <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>>:
>
>     > Heiko Schulz schrieb:
>     > > Here is a pic of the incident:
>     > >
>     > >
>     http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=536882887&filename=phpOltUWB.jpg
>
> <http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=536882887&filename=phpOltUWB.jpg>
>     > >
>     > > Regards
>     > > HHS
>     > >
>     > >
>     >
>     > Thank you.
>     > This is clear proof how much chance had a hand in this - beside
>     > pilot's skills.
>     > Georg
>
>     ..aye.  Which main leg trips the lift dumpers on the A320?
>

> Nice picture!
> This incident is a clear example of rolling moment due to beta, AKA
> "dihedral effect".
> In the video (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=ddb_1204404185) it can be
> seen that the trouble started when the pilot decrabbed the aircraft to
> align it to the runway, after being flying into the wind. This decrab
> puts the aircraft in a sideslip (airflow comming from the side, in
> this case from the right side). Due to the wing diehdral and (I think)
> due to the sweep back, this creates a rolling moment to the left.
> Normally, the ailerons and roll spoilers should allow to counter-act
> this, but in the picture
> (http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=536882887&filename=phpOltUWB.jpg
> <http://www.airliners.net/uf/view.file?id=536882887&filename=phpOltUWB.jpg>) I
> see those controls are only partially deflected. Strange.
>
> Fabian

In contrary to the first comments from the LH chief pilot the pilots are
coming under fire from other airliner pilots:

1. The approach was not stable. They should have done a go around and go
for the other runway which had better conditions
2. Due to unsufficient crab angle they had to turn into the wind SHORTLY
before landing AGAIN
3. It is not clear whether the problem is due to a gust or a wrong
control input
4. A lot of other aircraft landed without big problems shortly before
this airbus, even a smaller business-jet

Georg