Jon

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Petr
Gotthard
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 1:26 PM
To: flightgear-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Flightgear-devel] Suggestion to make FlightGear multiplayer
compliant with HLA

Dear FlightGear developers,

(a short introduction first: I'm a newcomer to FlightGear, my professional
profile can be found at  <http://www.linkedin.com/in/gotthard>
http://www.linkedin.com/in/gotthard)

May I ask whether you would be interested on striving to make FlightGear
compliant with the US DoD High Level Architecture (HLA)? It could make
FlightGear more attractive.

I found that

1) several FlightGear multiplayer server feature requests at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/fgms suggest to introduce

 - subscription-based property management

 - customizable set of propagated properties

 - more efficient data propagation mechanism

 - global status for date/time, weather, AI object positions

2) also the description of "A New Architecture for FlightGear Flight
Simulator" proposes a distributed FlightGear architecture, which would allow
all users to see the same AI objects

http://wiki.flightgear.org/flightgear_wiki/images/1/1e/New_FG_architecture.p
df

I believe that especially the HLA Declaration Management and Data
Distributio n Management perfectly match the above mentioned demands.

Just look at Fig.2 in
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/dominique.canazzi/paper.html.

It's nothing that can be achieved in a few days, but I think it's feasible.
To have a perfect solution we'd need to (probably in this order)

 - turn the FlightGear multiplayer server into a HLA RTI (run-time envir
onment)

 - implement the multiplayer protocol according to HLA standards

 - factor out (extract) the non-aircraft objects (weather, AI objects, ATC
server, etc.) to enable global status

What is your opinion? I want to start developing a HLA RTI first, so (if
you're interested) there will be plenty of time to discuss the requirements
and architectural issues.

One answer in advance: I've seen an idea to extend FlightGear to support the
DIS protocol (a HLA predecessor and c ompetitor). I believe that HLA is more
suitable for this purpose because it implements Data Distribution
Management.

Best Regards,

Petr