On 20 Aug 2008, at 21:14, Frederic Bouvier wrote:

> Migrating from CVS to SVN would already be a very good thing IMO

Just to add some data to this

  - git works great on the Mac, or any Unix, but I believe it's never
going to fly (if you'll pardon the expression) on Windows, due to
technical limitations there

  - git works great with the current setup (read-only repo mirrored
from CVS). For local development, if you can, and want to use it, it's
pretty nice (I think Melchior has said the same thing)

  - I'd be quite happy using git's patch submission features to flood
people's inboxes with patches :) Although the round-trip delay from
creating the patch to it being applied to CVS to getting mirroed to
the git repo is pretty long.

  - I'd also be quite happy publishing a public tree for someone with
CVS access to pull / cherry-pick from, and I assume any other 'heavy'
git user would similarly be happy publishing their tree.

My gut feeling is there should be a 'quick' migration to SVN for data
and code, since CVS is just so dreadful - and the migration process is
standard, and so are the tools (eg TortoiseSVN on windows is great).
Deciding whether the primary code repos should then be git or svn is a
more complex debate, but it feels like we'll always need both - git is
too complex for some people, even if they're not on Windows.

James