James Turner wrote:
> The problem seems to be very bad in the case of the GPWS, because it's
> actually a very complex instrument, and the author (who seems to
> be ... absent?) clearly put in a lot of very accurate functionality,
> but almost no documentation. Because it's so complex, I assume it
> needs some accurate configuration to work with an aircraft - i.e the
> 'out of the box' defaults are not correct - which is entirely
> understandable.
>
> There also seems to be a lack of some reference installations in
> aircraft, and the code hasn't had much love - I've been bumping up
> against it doing my refactorings, but I think I'll take a step back,
> and look over it properly, since it seems no one else has in some time.
>
> Also, don't get me wrong - I have no problem with people coding up
> systems in Nasal, it's the right place for many, many such systems.
> And indeed, probably the right place for a simple radar-altitude-based
> GPWS with voice callouts. That's not what the Mk-VIII is - it's
> modelling all the clever modes (look-ahead, terrain clearing,
> approach, etc) and doing things like finding the nearest runway /
> localiser to identify which runway the aircraft is inbound too. It's a
> good case of a real-world instrument which makes sense to be in C++
> (until machines get quite a bit quicker), but it needs some love, and
> some docs.
>
> So, I don't have a problem with a Nasal GPWS, but I'd far, far rather
> have some collaboration and help to get the Mk-VIII into a state where
> aircraft modellers can use it comfortably and correctly.
>

>> In the meantime , IRC is a much
>> freindlier , helpful place.
>>

> But not a useable one for some of us - following the forums and here
> is enough work for me.
>
> Regards,
> James

Hi James ,
    Im no expert coder , but I did take a look at it myself , and the
lack of comments made that a no go for me. I tried to visit some of the
sites he listed as reference material , but either they don't exist
anymore or I just can't get to them .Judging by the code , it does seem
to be a complex and accurate instrument , and if
someone can figure it out , great. My nasal 'experiment' is meant to
appease those who want it working , (and to see if I can do it ), but it
wont be anywhere near as complex as the MK-VIII.
I did try to contact Jean long ago , to see if there were setting that
needed to be changed for individual aircraft (when I added it to the
Bravo),but no luck there .
I will continue to poke around with it , I think it should have more
obvious user settings.... and thanks
for looking into it .
Cheers