Heiko Schulz wrote:

> [...]
You can call it whatever you like :) The consensus is not universally negative.

>> http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear-devel%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg12849.html
>>
>> And here's another thread where someone called Heiko
>> complains
>> about it ... ;-)
>>

>> http://www.mail-archive.com/flightgear-devel%40lists.sourceforge.net/msg15466.html
>>
>> That feature is also why I have to redefine the
>> OSG_FILE_PATH
>> environment variable, so that OSG doesn't use the shiny
>> OSG
>> demo cow.osg instead of our own cow.ac.
>>
>> m.
>>

> Just wanted to bring this back- for me it is definitely a bug, and should be
> changed! I don't see any advantages of that!

I introduced this feature when I found gross performance problems in some of
our
models; at the time it was radio masts. Some of the problems come from the way
they were modeled, others from inefficiencies in the .ac format itself. I wrote
a program to run the OSG optimizer, as well as some of my own optimizations,
and
write out the model in the .osg format. I'm sure you agree that it is not
efficient to do this at scenery load time while running FG. The model names are
embedded in the scenery, so it's not practical to change them without
rebuilding
the scenery, AFIAK. Hence, this substitution mechanism.

The only problem I see is picking up files from unexpected places, which really
means the OSG sample data directory. I didn't really see picking up the wrong
cow model as a deal breaker :) But I'm willing to change this scheme if it's
really too onerous. Would picking another file extension for the substitution,
such as ".fgm", satisfy you?

Tim