On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 09:16:25 -0500, Matthew wrote in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Okay.
>
> So, let's look at what actions should be taken.  Given that I am not a
> copyright owner, I have nothing at stake beyond community membership.

..me neither.  ;o)

..but the copyright owners here and at 7Zip, Audacity, Wesnoth etc down
http://www.idbproductions.com/Products/ ,  might want to know, so I Bcc
them, and cc to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Maybe talk PJ into doing an article on http://groklaw.net/ ?

> Regarding the images. We now sufficient information for individuals to
> assert their copyright on the individual using them.

..I do not understand what you are trying to say here.  Try again,
you must have left something important out of your statement above.

..if you meant to say: "Regarding the images. We now have sufficient
information for individuals to assert their copyright on the individual
using them.", then good, I would agree.

> Regarding flightgear, I am still trying to connect the dots on how we
> can be sure there is a GPL violation.

..aye, first I'd like to carry on find and verify such verifiable
facts.

> Arnt,
>
> Can you describe which parts of the GPL you believe he is violating?

..not yet, first I look for facts.  Facts we need to know, includes
under which license each picture and each documentation document has
been published.  I guess the guys behind 7Zip, Audacity, Wesnoth etc
down http://www.idbproductions.com/Products/ , would want the same.

> Since this list is a public record, I would like to stay away from
> potentially libelous claims, and stick to verifiable facts.  Also,
> what would your expectation be for any action.

..first find the facts, then confront these people with
the facts and the license that walks away on violations
and leaves them at the mercy of the teeth of the law. ;o)

> There is no morality or advertising clause in the GPL, and almost all
> of the rights conferred by the GPL are really oriented towards
> distribution -

..correct.

> of which no one has been a recipient.

..this _may_ be a possible verifiable fact, but you state
it _as_ a fact, do you in fact _know_ it to be a fact?

..these websites has lots of statements from what I understand is
alleged satisfied recipients, suggesting both GPL violations and
fraudulent marketing.

> Realistically, if he ships the source on CD, I don't think there is
> any wrongdoing from flightgear's perspective.

..realistically, whenever I see such massive "rebranding"
activity on graphic etc binaries, I expect to find some. ;o)

> Regards... Matthew
>

> Regards... Matthew
>

> On 11/21/08, James Sleeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >> ..ok, this far I have found a fake physical address, suggesting my
> >> suspicion is confirmable.  So I cc.
> >>
> >> ..unless New Zealand allow a fake address, a fake company, a fake
> >> name etc, these are illegally registred web sites.
> >>
> > Are we taking about whois data Arnt?  The whois data on the domains
> > seems to be sensible to me, infact, it's about 3 KM as the Cub flys
> > from my own house in Hoon Hay.   He is very nearby to a  very

..excellent, then you would be in an excellent position to verify
there indeed _is_ a house at 5A Jasmine Place?  Pictures?
I found none and said so.

> > historic airfield which is sadly going to close in a couple of
> > months forever to be made into housing by the landowners :-(

..you could try FUD them away from your airfield?
Finance crisis and all?  "Wait and see!"? ;o)

> > I have noticed this rebranding of FG for sale on the dominant
> > auction site here in NZ for quite a long time, but never really
> > felt concerned by it  -

..you should have, the bad guys try to undermine the GPL and copyright
e.g. thru software piracy and by establishing "an established practice"
to form case law.  This is a long term strategy and they have deep
pocket and when exposed, they try to intimidate their way out of it
with e.g. subtle litigation FUD.  ;o)  Check http://groklaw.net/ ;o)

> > http://www.trademe.co.nz/Gaming/PC-games/Simulation/auction-188794636.htm
> >
> > Now I look, the trademe username is "casey-a" from Christchurch, the
> > whois data for the domain indicates this is Mr Andrew Casey of that
> > address.  Phone number etc is in the whois.  I won't post it here
> > for respect.

..respect for who?

..assuming you respect the copyright holders of FlightGear, 7Zip,
Audacity, Wesnoth etc down www.idbproductions.com/Products/ way,
then maybe you could mail it so we can help check it all out?

> > The whois on flight-aviator.com and idbproductions.com match up.
> > The whois on idb.net.nz doesn't quite, but could just be an work
> > address, it's not very far away.

..sounds reasonable, it's 7.1 km – about 18 mins according to:
http://maps.google.com/maps/empw?url=http:%2F%2Fmaps.google.com%2Fmaps%3Fdaddr%3D38%2BRaxworthy%2BSt,%2BIlam,%2BCanterbury%2B8041,%2BNew%2BZealand%26geocode%3D%26dirflg%3D%26saddr%3D5A%2BJasmine%2BPlace%2BWigram%26f%3Dd%26sll%3D-43.510903,172.56585%26sspn%3D0.017445,0.031564%26ie%3DUTF8%26ll%3D-43.53206,172.55403%26spn%3D0.04432,0.0381%26output%3Dembed%26s%3DAARTsJqJH0RHfHRvB2xwVrEv6DxeKLuYfw&hl=en

> > The company name in the whois "KcKpers Ltd" is a legitimate
> > company, and the Director's address agrees with the whois on
> > the .com domains, you can search the company at
> > www.companies.govt.nz .  Mr Casey is the only shareholder (nothing
> > sinister in that, common practice).  The company was incorporated
> > in 2002, and Mr Casey was he who did that incorporation and had the
> > same Wigram address at the time.
> >
> > I don't see any fakeness Arnt?  Or have I missed half of a
> > conversation somewhere?

..I certainly missed _your_ half of this conversation,
_did_ you try post this to FG-dev or
[EMAIL PROTECTED], or did you try mail me?

> > ---
> > James Sleeman

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: