Hi,
On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 8:08 PM, Stuart Buchanan <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I note that the base package size above is 200MB.
>
> I did a quick look at the (uncompressed) size in KB of
> each of these aircraft, excluding the CVS directories.
>
> 5564    777-200
> 6208    b1900d
> 13528   bocian
> 17708   c172p
> 6752    dhc2
> 20656   Concorde
> 876     Dragonfly
> 29428   f-14b
> 4360    CitationX
> 14464   sopwithCamel
> 232     ufo
> 2148    ZLT-NT
> 3968    A6M2

We can reduce the on-disk plane footprint.

I did a quick test compressing f-14b/Models/common2.rgb (texture atlas with
fuselage skin, it seems):

baseline common2.rgb: 792k
png common2.png: 295k (irfanview, best png compression, keep transparent
color ON)
ziped common2.zip: 375k (winrar .rgb, best zip compression)
rared common2.rar: 353k (winrar .rgb, best rar compression)

  So there seems to be a case for converting all .rgb to .png. It should
result in a smaller distribution and
a smaller disk footprint (possibly quicker loading 1st time loading). It is
my naive understanding that the
references to .rgb should only be in .xml and .ac files.
  A quick shell script could find all .rgb convert them to .png, do a search
replace on .xml and .ac files and
then commit to cvs.

  Also i looked into a .AC file to confirm they are text and a /bin/sed
search replace is possible.
My 1 sample size research file f-14b.ac is 2485k uncompressed, 337k
compressed as rar
(winrar, best rar compression). I would even expect gzip to achieve a better
compression ratio.
Again, it should be possible to compress all .ac, either as a pre-pass
on installer generation or to commit it to cvs. The OSG AC loader may need
patching to load .gz files, I ignore if
the osg loader can do the gz streaming itself on all supported file types.

greetings,
 yon