> Hi Folks --
>
> I suppose you've heard about the Airbus A320 that ditched
> in the Hudson river, in the shadow of downtown Manhattan, on
> Thursday.  As crashes go, it must be considered a success,
> since there were no fatalities and almost no serious
> injuries.
>
> Around here it has received around-the-clock news coverage.
> The commentators are amazed at how lucky the passengers
> were.  They all use the same word:  It's a miracle.
>
> I disagree.  Any time your airliner loses both engines is
> *not* your lucky day.  And while a successful ditching may
> involve a small amount of luck, it mainly and primarily
> involves a large amount of skill.

Many of you recall the hijacked airliner than ran out of fuel ten or fifteen
years ago. The resulting ditching didn't turn out so well, with most people
drowning. That was on the ocean near the shore. In the recent case, it appears
that everything worked right. The crew - trained for such an emergency -
reportedly performed admirably. The passengers did well. Emergency services and
boat captains played a vital role.

I can imagine that a ditching in the open sea and on a river are in two
remarkably different environments, with the river being much more conducive to
a ditching. If one engine catches a wave before the other, that could be enough
to finish everyone off. I'd imagine that the aircraft *must* land straight
forward without rolling, and maintain structural integrity and buoyancy long
enough to allow everyone to get out.

On my recent trip from Houston to Honolulu (with my entire family, including
four kids aged 6 to 12), this was one of my concerns, flying in a two engine
aircraft. No matter how skillful the pilot is, [s]he cannot control the ocean
state. At the time we flew, there were two tropical storms south of us.

I'd imagine that this recent case will be a valuable data point for study to
make future ditchings more survivable.

Jon