On 01/18/2009 02:22 AM, Erik Hofman wrote:

> I still think the passengers where lucky to have such a skilled pilot at
> the controls...

Not too long ago one of my relatives came up to me and said:

Him:  I've always thought you were incredibly lucky, and I
  wondered why.  Now I begin to understand.  I noticed just
  now when Mother asked you to turn on the oven, you looked
  in the oven before turning it on.

  That's interesting, because once I turned on the oven
  when there were some plastic bowls in there.  I thought
  that was a horribly unlucky accident, what with the big
  fire and toxic smoke and all.

Me:  Yup.  I've noticed that the more careful I am, the
  luckier I get.

===========

The same sort of "luck" applies to pilots.  The more they
train, the luckier they get.

It just cracks me up when the TV commentators say:
  It is a miracle that they were able to get everybody out
  of that plane in 90 seconds.  Wow, 90 seconds.  Can you
  believe that?  It's a miracle.

It turns out that the crew knew before they took off that
they could get everybody out in 90 seconds.  They know
because they have practiced it.  It is required by FAR
121.291.  They invite a planeload of _untrained_ volunteer
passengers into a plane inside a big hangar, serve them
all dinner (because that's a worst-case scenario) ... and
then they turn out all the lights and say "everybody out".
The requirement is to get everybody out in ..... you
guessed it ...... 90 seconds.

Were the passengers of flight 1549 lucky to have a highly
skillful crew?  You can call it luck if you want to.  My
point is that the passengers on flight 1548 and flight
1550 were even luckier, in the sense that they also had
highly skillful crews and didn't need to find out the hard
way just how skillful.

All these crews are lucky, if you want to call it that.
They're lucky because there's a lot of crashworthiness
and even ditchworthiness built into the airframe, and
because the crews train like crazy, far in excess of
the already-strict FAA requirements.