On Thursday, 22. January 2009, Tim Moore wrote:

> We can't say that "all the models in the repository are covered by the GPL"
> and have models in there that are not. This is a terrible trap for anyone
> wanting to use FlightGear in any professional setting.

Please do not confuse the software license with other things like trademark
law. There will always be things like trademarks, patents, warranty or other
local laws that may add further restrictions to what you can do with software
regardless of the software's license or it's validity.

There are tons of free software that may not distributed as freely, as it's
license (mostly GPL) would allow. I mentioned Mozilla Firefox earlier. But
there's also things like simple mp3 codecs. Doubtless free software, but not
as easy to distribute because of patent law in some countries.

A copyright license can and should only care about copyright. It cannot free
you from checking your other laws that may prevent you from doing what you
want. Maybe you are not even allowed to sell _any_ software. That's not even
a contrieved example: a four-year-old is not allowed to do so because he
cannot enter a valid contract (which a sell would be). Does that make the GPL
invalid? Of course not.

So your museum just has two choices:
* contact Boeing and get a license not for the software, but for the trademark
* remove the usage of the trademark from the software before selling it

There's nothing we could do about this. Except of course to abstain from using
the trademarks in the first place. But as we have permission to use them for
the stuff we really care about, I see no strong enough reason to do so. I'd
just be nice to people and remind them to check their trademark usage.

Stefan