Ncolas,

I didn't want to comment on your first post, everyone has a bad day
sometimes, but here I like to add my 2 ct anyway.

Am Mittwoch, den 04.03.2009, 17:52 -0500 schrieb Nicolas Quijano:
> In the interest of clarity, moving to OSG was a good, if not brilliant
> move (some potential sources of revenue would have it as a requirement
> as far as open source engines are concerned)
> It's simply a bit bloated, by default, although I suspect you don't
> have to ship the parts you don't use at runtime to your users.
> But it covers many bases and use cases of scene management and
> rendering, so the bloat is offset by a generic and broad ability to
> fill one's needs.
>
> Just wanted to clarify that I was not saying in any way that moving to
> OSG was bad. It did leave previous users in its midst.
> Rather, it's an example of how FGFS has been shown to be able to go
> through titanic upheavals, a good trait of character :)
>

>         And switching to OSG wasn't a lot of work for very little
>         return for a sizeable portion of your (former) userbase ?
>         That a lot of features, some obvious, some not, are still not
>         working is not a hit on the ROI in your opinion ?
>         You talk of bloat, but you moved to OSG, the ultimate bloated
>         whale in the world of 3d rendering !! (and that's common
>         knowledge)
>         This is not a judgement on its quality btw, but it's bloated
>         software nonetheless :)
> --paragraph break should have been inserted here
>

>         And I won't mention that is has no adequate documentation and
>         no debugger. Period.  (<-- that's very serious)
>         Oops, sorry I just did ;)
>
> The last two lines talk about Nasal.
> NOT OSG : it's documented and easily debuggable in one's favorite
> development environment.
> It also now has, among others, built-in Lua support ;)

I'm a simple content contributor with very little background in
programming. When I made my first Aircraft (the bf109) I was confronted
with the need to deploy slats automatically at a given speed. I din't
want to embed C++ code or had such a complex script that the error
messages in FG wouldn't help me and I previously only used a bit of
python. I looked at some Nasal scripts and within a few hours it worked.

I was impressed how easy it is to write even complex Nasal scripts.
Later I started developing the walker feature that made it possible to
walk around in the scenery, all with nasal. Stuart kindly enhanced the
walker and added an animation system to it (see bluebird), again with
nasal.

Others have made Flight computers with it (see V-22 and Su-37). Nasal is
a worthy tool and you gave no proof that Lua can do the same.

Given the fact that FG is platform independant I don't know if the
embedded C++ is doing the same on Windows, Linux, PPC and intel Macs.
( apart from the fact that if I was able to code c++ I would embed it to
FG rather than in an Aircraft specific script).

A lack of documentation may be the case, but on this list are a lot of
friendly people helping out.

Maybe there hasn't been a lot of praise for nasal, but I guess the broad
use of nasal, even among JSBSim developers speaks for itself. As far as
I know there hasn't been any comments of lacking nasal features (that
weren't added within a short time).

Finally: I _like_ Nasal!

> Cheers,
> Nic
>
> --
> Be Kind.
> Remember, everyone is fighting a hard battle.

Greetings

--
Detlef Faber

http://www.sol2500.net/flightgear