Erik Hofman wrote:
>> Why wait for a NASA Shuttle? There already exist several models to see
>> the /interesting/ effects at altitude, some which have changed with the
>> new ambient values.
>>

> For good or for bad?
> (and if for bad what exactly, or as precise as possible).

Bad, of course.
Oh yes, I can be precise.
:D
I made a web page of thumbnail screenshots (enlargable), along with
narrative at
http://seahorseCorral.org/fgfs-bug-report.html

To summarize:
I previously reported the white-out bug on IRC on 2008.Dec.16 saying,
/"I was flying at 39,000 asl and the white-out bug returned. This is
lower altitude than last seen. I discovered the threshold was changing
with sun-angle, so mapped the threshold. It occurs down to 36,400 when
sun-angle is 1.56"/

A combination of sun-angle and altitude defines the threshold for where
this occurs. As the sun-angle decreases, or the sun gets higher in the
sky, the altitude at which this occurs gets higher.
Also, at lower altitudes, the problem seems to occur when the sun is on
the horizon, perhaps the specular effects at sunrise are the problem?
Because continuing into night from day, the white-out disappears at
sun-angle 1.65

It also becomes apparant, this "white-out" causes material-only surfaces
to turn completely white, while textured surfaces lose their ambient and
diffuse values, and then look like the plain texture-image file.

> One problem with higher altitudes is that it's not as easy to model as
> lower altitude coloring.

I don't think the atmosphere darkening to black is bad at all. In fact,
except for the lack of Earth along the true horizon, it looks quite nice.

Stewart