On Tue, 7 Apr 2009, Tim Moore wrote:

> So why do you care if <entry> and </entry> are replaced by ' '?

There is a world of difference! One is a structured XML subtree while the
other is a homogeneous data blob. In the property tree the former would be
a subtree with a property for each element while the other would be a
single value (an "array value" like our string values, if you wish).

IMHO it would be better to talk about the proposed vec4d as 4-tuple rather
than an array - as I understood it values of that type would be read and
written as a single unit.

I'd very much like to keep tuples away from the property tree and instead
let the tree structure itself describe how the simple data values relate
to each other. OTOH I do see Tim's point regarding the value in being able
to set the entire value of the structure in one go in the shader case.

Can we find a better/more general solution to that problem (i.e. setting
the value of a subtree or a set of properties),
because someone might need to set a 3 doubles in one go at some point, or
7 doubles or why not 3 doubles and a string?

Cheers,

Anders