* Tim Moore -- Tuesday 07 April 2009:
> Melchior FRANZ wrote:
> > How/where do we document that the heading is in degree, not radian?
> >
> > How/where do we document that a value is normalized (0-1), not an
> > angle?
> >
> Beats me, but I'm not the one claiming that the property list format is
> self-documenting.

Well, it is. The answer to my two questions is: suffixes!

We know heading is in degree, because its name is "heading-deg".
We know a value is normalized, because its name is "position-norm".
And we'd know that a branch is atomic, because its name could be
"whatever-atomic" (or something shorter). But that's just optional.

> Right, so it's (mostly) the Nasal programmer who would have to know the
> suffix.

No. Any human who gets in contact with the property. For example,
someone browsing the tree in the browser dialog. Or someone using
it in nasal, or writing it from an fgcommand binding.

The property tree is just data storage for IPC purposes. Writing to
most nodes doesn't have an effect *at all*, without giving you
*any* hint about that. You don't get any feedback on writing. You
just have to know if you can expect an effect or not. Only some
properties are polled or have listener callback functions attached,
or are tied to functions. And a suffix could tell you that writing
to a child alone doesn't have an effect either (like for most other
nodes), but that the whole branch is evaluated in an atomic way if
you trigger the parent node.

m.