Hi Tim,

On Saturday 11 July 2009 09:28:21 Tim Moore wrote:
> > Vote against.
> > You will need two allocations for a new object that is used with the the
> > std::shared_ptr implementation - one for the object and one for the
> > reference count. I like to use that SGReferenced stuff for many small
> > lightweight objects
>
> Note that I said "and its cousins." I had thought that TR1 includes boost's
> intrusive_ptr, but now I see that it doesn't. No matter; it is in boost and
> available. This wouldn't replace your implementation of SGReferenced or
> osg::Referenced, but simplifies access to them by clients who wouldn't have
> to care about the specific type of the reference-counted object.
The only thing in tr1 is the shared_ptr/weak_ptr. I am Not sure what tr2
includes.
What I am missing in the intrusive pointer is a thread safe implementation of
the weak_ptr. Note that we already have that in simgear ...
Not yet thought about that, but is there any chance to implement the weak_ptr
semantics together with the intrusive_ptr?

> Again, I'm not proposing getting rid of SGReferenced; I'd just like a
> unified way to use different pointer implementations.
Ok, I see.

But, at least to me it was never a big problem to distinguish between fg/sg
classes and scenegraph classes. So scenegraph means osg::ref_ptr and fg/sg
means SGSharedPtr.
And from an abstraction point of view osg* usage should not be visible too
much.
Those places where this rule is broken is something I do not like either. As
already told, I believe that it is not a good idea to tie a simulation to a
viewer framework. And a scenegraph is nothing more than that ...

Greetings

Mathias